The Documents menu provides access to the documentation management structures and functions. Summarized:
- All Documents – is where you view, add, edit, delete and otherwise manage documents.
- New Document – is a convenience menu item which provides direct access to creating a new document.
- Categories – provides means to add and manage document categories. Note that these are independent and specific to Documents, they are separate from categories used for posts.
- Tags – provides means to add and manage document tags. As with document categories, these are independent from the tags used on posts.
- Settings – to configure some basic options.
It’s worth mentioning that Documents combine some of the goodies you already know from Posts and Pages.
Documents have categories and tags just like Posts, but Documents also allow to establish a hierarchy among them as do Pages.
Anyhow, Documents are entirely separate entities, although you will use WordPress’ familiar features to manage them.
Documents and Document Categories in Menus
Documents and Document Categories can be added to menus.
Under Appearance > Menus, check that the Documents and Document Categories are enabled in the Screen Options tab.
You will find the Document and Document Categories providing published items that can be added to menus.