- Install the plugin as outlined below.
- If needed, adjust the settings in the Groups > File Access section.
- If your setup is adequate, you can manage files controlled by the plugin on the Groups > Files page.
- Use the shortcodes provided by the plugin to embed download links for group members on your pages or posts.
- Backup – Back up your WordPress installation files and database.
- Install and activate the Groups plugin.
- Install and activate the Groups File Access plugin.
Add the new plugin you have received and activate it:
Go to Plugins > Add New > Upload and click the “Browse…” button to select the plugin’s zip file, usually groups-file-access-x.y.z.zip (x, y and z are the plugin’s current version numbers). After that proceed to activate the plugin.
If you have received or downloaded an updated version of the Groups File Access plugin, follow these instructions to update it:
Back up your WordPress installation files and database.
2. Upgrade to the new Version
Upgrading requires to replace the old version of the plugin with its new version.
IMPORTANT! Make sure that none of the data deletion options are checked on the “Groups > File Access” page:
- DO NOT CHECK “Delete plugin data when the plugin is deleted?”
- DO NOT CHECK “Delete all Groups File Access plugin data when the plugin is deactivated?”
To update, the plugin must be deactivated, deleted and the new release uploaded and activated. These are the steps involved:
- Go to Plugins > Installed Plugins, click “Deactivate” on the “Groups File Access” plugin, then click “Delete” to remove it.
- Go to Plugins > Add New > Upload and click the “Browse…” button to select the new release’s zip file, and click on the “Install Now” button. After it has been installed, activate the plugin.